New Tappan Zee bridge: The Largest Transportation Design-Build Project in U.S.
New Tappan Zee Bridge Project: Rebuilding America's Infrastructure
The Mario M. Cuomo Bridge, at 3.1 miles long, is a twin-span, cable-stayed replacement for the old Tappan Zee Bridge, crossing the Hudson River about 25 miles north of New York City. Its eight lanes carry the New York State Thruway, Interstate 87, and Interstate 287 as well as bus lanes during rush hour. Its design includes a shared-use path for pedestrians and cyclists and for future light rail or commuter rail service.
The 50,000 tons of structural steel that High Steel Structures LLC fabricated support the road deck and infrastructure for the east and west approach spans of the new Tappan Zee bridge.
Headquartered in Lancaster, Pa., High Steel partnered with Hirschfeld Industries, with headquarters in San Angelo, Texas, to deliver the 100,000 tons of fabricated steel required.
Innovative Success Factors of Mario Cuomo Bridge Construction
Given its huge size, scope, and cost, the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement project had to bring together the most capable and dependable large-capacity companies in the bridge construction industry.
High Steel’s innovative success factors included:
- An $11 million expansion of our Williamsport facility with 200 additional positions
- Retooling to fabricate the outsized bridge-span components
- Purpose-designed production methods to increase efficiency and maintain schedules
- Recoded in-house software to meet outsized-girder specifications
- New rapid digital radiography method that X-rays steel thickness (for quality control) in 12 seconds instead of up to an hour
- Advanced-technology equipment—exclusive to High Steel in the U.S.—that drills bolt holes in steel parts at the top and sides simultaneously
At $3.98 billion, Mario Cuomo bridge construction is the largest transportation design-build project in the nation. Kindly refer to the below infographic for more highlights from one of the biggest infrastructure projects implemented by High since its founding in 1931:
High Steel – a Key Contributor to the New Tappan Zee Bridge Construction
At a Glance:
- High Steel was one of only a few U.S. companies able to meet this project’s enormous demand for fabricated steel
- High Steel constructed nearly 800 girders, most weighing more than 100,000 pounds and 12 feet in depth
- High Steel and High Transit met all contract commitments, with no major delays or problems
- Designed and constructed to last 100 years without major structural maintenance
- National Winner of the AISC 2020 Prize Bridge Awards
Mario Cuomo Bridge Facts
|Former name||Tappan Zee Bridge|
|New official name||Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge|
|Also known as||New Tappan Zee Bridge
New NY Bridge
|Meaning of official name||To commemorate former New York Governor Mario Cuomo|
|Location||Connecting Rockland Westchester Counties|
|Construction period||2013 – 2018|
|Cost of construction||$3.9 billion (New Tappan Zee Bridge replacement is the largest transportation design-build project in US history)|
|Total length||3.1 miles (5 km)|
|Height||419 ft (128 m)|
Most-updated toll adjustment can be found on the Thruway Authority’s website.
|Number of lanes||
FAQs about New Tappan Zee Bridge Project
Question 1: Why did the Tappan Zee Bridge need to be replaced?
Evidence had shown that in the case of Tappan Zee bridge, replacement rather than repair would be more cost-effective and safer for drivers, not to mention better for the environment. Much of the old bridge was reused or recycled for other infrastructure projects.
Question 2: What is the contract method of the new Tappan Zee Bridge construction?
The new Tappan Zee bridge project followed design-build delivery method. Under a design-build project, also known as a single-source project, a client signs a contract with one company to manage the design to the construction of the new property. This means more convenience and less risk for owner since they don’t have to manage multiple parties and the budget.
Question 3: What is the Mario Cuomo bridge made of?
The Mario Cuomo bridge is made of structural steel fabricated by High Steel Structures LLC. High Steel partnered with Hirschfeld Industries to deliver the 100,000 tons of steel required for this bridge building project.
Question 4: What kind of bridge is the Mario Cuomo bridge?
The Mario Cuomo is a twin cable-stayed bridge spanning the Hudson River between Tarrytown and Nyack in New York.
Question 5: Why is the Tappan Zee Bridge curved?
The bridge incorporated an S-curve alignment to avoid Port Authority territory.